Saturday, January 14, 2017

Beautiful Books Linkup: NaNoWriMo/2016 Recap!




Hello people! I come to you today with another Beautiful Books, hosted by Cait and Sky. :3 There wasn’t any in December, so they’re doing the last Beautiful Books this month instead. :D


1. What were your writing achievements last year?
I did Camp NaNoWrimo in April for the first time last year. :D I used that to finish my Wattpad story The Empire Thief. And then my second Camp NaNo in July I wrote my Peter Pan/Alice in Wonderland crossover. I finished that, but didn’t make the word goal I set for that month. XD I drafted my November NaNo, The Lost Crown, last year, too. :3 All three stories were so, so much fun.

For my final class of college (graduated this year too, whoot!), I was able to write a novella for a huge paper I had to write. Here I Stand is a Christian high fantasy, and I had a TON of fun writing it. :3 I may self-publish it eventually as an ebook. ^_^

2. What’s on your writerly “to-do list” for 2017?
Draft, edit, and send EOBAS to alpha readers and possibly beta readers. :D I’m not sure how far I’ll get, but I’m staying optimistic. ^_^

Participate in at least one Camp NaNo, and November NaNo. Maybe for November I’ll go to another write-in. But we’ll see.

I want to try rewriting my very first November NaNo, Clockwork Apprentice.

Keep up with my blog. I’d like to write more writerly –type posts, but we’ll see.

3. Tell us about your top-priority writing projects for this year!
Top-priority is Empire of Blood and Shadow. I’m really close to finishing the first draft, and I hope to make it pretty far in the editing process. I’ve made quite a few changes to the plot (and even more that I didn’t plan that the characters decided they wanted), and it’s looking a ton better than it has before! :3

Another project would be the sequel to The Empire Thief, Thief of Promises. :D It’s been really fun to write so far, and I hope to keep writing it this year. I’m not done with Talyx yet. ;)

4. How do you hope to improve as a writer? Where do you see yourself at the end of 2017?
I want to continue getting better at developing aspects of my writing. Characters, plots, worldbuilding. I can’t think of anything specific, so improvement overall is always a good goal, right? ;)

At the end of 2017… closer than I ever have been to publishing EOBAS, I suppose. XD And have a few more stories under my belt, too. I’d like to have a good schedule/pattern for writing, too.

5. Describe your general editing process.
I’m not sure I have one? My plan for EOBAS (after the first draft is finished) is to make major edits (edits to plot, worldbuilding, characters), followed up by smaller ones (grammar, spelling, wording, etc. The little details). After that, we’ll see!

6. On a scale of 1-10, how do you think this draft turned out?
I’m assuming the draft in question is the NaNo draft? In that case, I’d say about a 7. I realized partway through I needed to switch up the situation my heroes were in. And being a first draft it comes with its own first draft baggage, but overall I think it went well. ^_^

7. What aspect of your draft needs the most work?
See question 6. XD I need to make adjustments to the plot, to how the antagonists are introduced, and let them raise a little more havoc around the heroes. My MC’s development may need a little work, too.

8. What do you like the most about your draft?
The brother-like relationship my main characters develop between each other. I loved watching them get used to each other’s ways. One is a commoner, and the other is a prince, and they’re thrust together on turf both familiar and unknown to each in different regards, and it’s fun to watch them learn how to get along. :3 And they’re just adorable boys overall, so. XD

9. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers?
I’d thought about posting it on Wattpad. After I get around to editing it, anyway. But that could be a ways off. We’ll see.

10. Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
For the NaNo? Likely Wattpad, as I said. XD But if I have to choose between the options given, self-publishing. The Lost Crown has that feel about it. ;)

11. What’s your top piece of advice for those just finished writing a first draft?
Good. Freaking. Job.

I’m not kidding. Awesome job! You’ve just set to paper a whole BOOK, my friend. Yes, it’s probably a hot mess, and that’s okay. It’s supposed to.

Now let it sit. Back up that draft and set it aside for a while. Recharge. Go eat ice-cream and read a book, or maybe start up a new file (of a different story, mind!). Let the draft sit and stew, and let yourself cool down after that whirlwind of a story. Especially if there were feels.

Another thing to remember: It’s gonna look like crap, your first draft. It is, and it’s best you admit it right now. When you do, it’s a little easier to accept that it’s going to change, maybe in places you liked best. I learned this, am still learning it. But it’s good to remember. Let it be awful. Because you know what?

It’s going to be beautiful later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)