Saturday, December 17, 2016

The "Smashing and Dashing" Character Awards

The end of the year is approaching. It’s been a bit crazy, but it’s been good. :3 I finished college this year, I became an aunt, and I got a ton of writing done (two Camp NaNos, and November NaNo, along with lots of other writerly projects).

I also got a lot of reading done. I’ve still got some books I’d like to get done (they’re due back at the library by the end of the month. o.o), but I’m happy with all I did get done. I’ve read 41 books thus far, and I’ve enjoyed nearly all of them.

Buuuut instead of rambling about how they were so good and stuff, I found a really fun tag created by Cait over at Paperfury: An awards tag for book characters. B) I thought it would be fun to do, and fangirl a little over the characters I read about over the year. :3


1. MOST RELATABLE CHARACTER
Hmm… Menolly from The Dragonsong trilogy, or Anne Smith from Persuasion. I could relate to their struggles in some areas, and I saw part of me in them.

2. MOST PURE AND PRECIOUS ANIMAL COMPANION
Huan the Hound in The Silmarillion. He was so loyal to Beren and Luthien. X3

3. FIERCEST FIGHTER
Tulkas from The Silmarillion and Mott from The False Prince trilogy. B) Mott is just epic all around, and he knows how to handle Sage when he’s being snarky and annoying. XD Tulkas is awesome too. :3 He’s one of the Valar, and when he fights, he’s always laughing. He’s that awesome. B) Also maybe Chaol Westfall from the Throne of Glass series… I would pay a lot to see those three fight. XD


4. MOST AMAZING SIDEKICK
Mm, I’ll probably have to go with Hearth and Blitz from Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer. They were an amusing duo, but they know their stuff when it comes down to it. And while they both have their own troubling pasts, they do what they have to do to keep Magnus safe.

Also Hearth is just a precious elf, okay?

5. ONE YOU’RE SURPRISED YOU LOVED
I think Celaena from the Throne of Glass series. Most of my favorite characters have been guys, with very few females. I’m still trying to figure out why (I have theories, but not a lot to back it up at present). But Celaena I really liked soon after meeting her. She’s not moody most of the time, or withdrawn (or she wasn’t in book 1). She likes talking, likes dresses (and can still kick some major butt), and likes candy. She’s a precious child who is currently very broken (I’m on book 3), but I loved how in the first book she seemed so likeable and friendly, despite being an assassin. She seemed like somebody I would actually enjoy hanging out with. I’m hoping in the next books I see more of that again. :3


6. BEST SASSMASTER
Wow there wasn’t even any contest here. XD Prince Jaron (also known as Sage) from the Ascendance Trilogy. He sassed everyone, even when he probably shouldn’t, and his sarcasm and snark made me smile every time. XD He is sassmaster of the year. Fight me.

7. BEST ANTI-HERO AND MORALLY GREY GRAPE
Probably Delilah Bard from A Darker Shade of Magic. She’s a thief, but she ends up helping Kel, so…?

I can’t think of other good examples from this year. XD

8. BEST WORST VILLAIN TO HATE
I think Cinder’s stepmom Adri from Cinder wins this award. At first I wasn’t sure, but then I remembered a deed that woman did that was just CRUEL and she is scum. >_> She’s not the main villain, but I think she kinda topped Levana with what she did. >_>

9. TRULY ASTOUNDING WORST YA PARENTS
Adri from Cinder (look at her, winning these kinds of awards!) and Chaol’s father from The Throne of Glass series. Adri is basically the evil stepmother from Cinderella, so she’s pretty nasty (if you didn’t gather that from number 8). She spoils her biological daughters, but she treats Cinder like a servant.

But boy, does Chaol’s father come pretty close. He essentially disowned his own son when Chaol wanted to stay at the castle instead of be his father’s heir. And now his father blackmails him whenever Chaol needs help.

They make truly horrible parents, guys. >_>

10. TRULY ASTOUNDING BEST YA PARENTS
Out of the books read this year, that award easily goes to Captain Raymond and his wife, Violet, from the Elsie DInsmore series. No doubt. Also possibly Elsie Dinsmore. They’re Christian parents, and they raise their children to fear and love God. Their faith inspires their children, and they are just about the most well-behaved kids in the history of ever. XD Or the history of my reading in 2016. ;)

11. TOOT TOOT BEST SHIP OF THEM ALL
Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion. X3 Toegther they’re kinda kick-butt. They took on Sauron, for crying out loud! And they’re basically the most faithful couple ever and I will protect them.


12. THE MOST IN NEED OF PROTECTION
Oh wow, I think we’re gonna have a crowd here…

Dorian (Throne of Glass).
Kel (A Darker Shade of Magic).
Hearth (Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer).
Piemur (Dragondrums).

Because they’re all precious and they’re all struggling with things and just I want to hug them all and protect them from the danger of their worlds, okay?

13. MOST BORING AS A BARNACLE
Uhh… currently, I can’t think of any from past books I’ve read, but in my current read, Heir of Fire (The Throne of Glass series), I’d have to say the Blackbeak witch heir Manon? I have very little interest in her character, only what’s going on around her. She’s just… not that exciting for me. She was creepier when I first saw her, but right now she’s just kind of meh.

14. BEST LITTLE ROYAL
Doriannnn. :3 :3 I liked him from the start to be honest. XD He’s a precious boy, though a bit of flirt. He’s friendly, and I like how he’s always there for somebody if they need a friendly ear or shoulder to lean on, even when he’s got problems he needs to work out. :3

15. VERY SURPRISED YOU’RE STILL ALIVE
Will there be irony when I say Sam Miracle?

Yes. The answer is yes.

I can’t really think of anybody I’m legit surprised that they’re not dead, so I give this award out of humor. ;) Sam Miracle is from Outlaws of Time, and he has already died.

A lot.

It’s complicated, but there you go. XD


16. BEST AT HORRIBLE DECISION MAKING
I don’t know if there’s anybody I read who made really awful decisions… of course lots of characters have made poor decisions, but I don’t know if there’s anyone in particular who was the best at it.

But if I have to pick somebody… Magnus Chase, I think. I mean, come on, he dies within the first few chapters. XD ;) He comes back and had zero idea of what was happening, but still. I’d say that counts as being the best at making bad choices. ;)

17. CUTEST DORK
Colin from Storm Siren. Seriously, this boy was so adorable I loved him right off. XD His personality caught me off guard, but that just made me love him more. He’s flirty, and he’s just a big cuddly dork. XD XD

18. CLEVEREST LITTLE HELLION
I think Prince Jaron/Sage wins this one. He literally drives everyone insane, friend and foe. He’s a complete imp, but whatever he plans, it often works out. And after all he faked his own death/disappearance and managed to get into a competition to become his own imposter. How can this kid NOT be clever? XD

19. MOST IN NEED OF A NAP
Milo from The Phantom Tollbooth. This precious child goes through so much that rarely ever makes any amount of sense, but he just rolls with it and makes it all work. It’s all so crazy, the kid needs a nap. XD

20. WANT TO READ MORE ABOUT YOU
Is it cheating if I say Jaron again?

Do I care if it’s cheating?

So yeah, I would read about Jaron forever and not even be sorry. XD He’s a precious boy, and I love his sarcasm, and how he’s fiercely protective of his country and the people he loves. I would love to read more adventures with him in them. :3

Which would also mean I get Mott too, so that’s a bonus. B)


Images found via Pinterest.


What about you??? Who do you think should win these awards? What character do you think is the cutest dork of 2016? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)