Saturday, October 8, 2016

Beautiful Books Linkup: The Lost Crown



It’s that time again. The month of madness and chaos is nearly here. The month where 50,000 words are in a mad rush to get on paper.

National Novel Writing Month.

This is my second year participating in November’s crazy writing event, and I’ll be tackling a new story for it. Last year I did a steampunk mystery, and this year I’ll be writing high fantasy. But instead of the hero that gets the limelight, the sidekick will the point of view. B)

This month, Cait and Sky are switching up their Beautiful People linkups and doing Beautiful Book Linkups, focusing around NaNoWriMo and the projects that we mad writers will be undertaking in a month. So today I’ll be introducing my project next month.


What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
I think the early version came from a commercial for a movie. Two men were battling/training with each other, and something about the scene was interesting to me. After that, my mind wandered and eventually came to “what if I wrote a story where the POV didn’t come from the hero?” The early ideas and notes for the story have been around since June. I just didn’t plan for it to be a NaNo project until September. XD

Describe what your novel is about!
A mad king has put his throne up for grabs through a tournament. Anybody can enter, and the best fighter is crowned. However, this denies the king’s son and heir his birthright, so Prince Farin goes undercover in the tournament to win back the crown.

Among the fighters is our protagonist Tiryz, the son and apprentice of a swordsmith, and who really doesn’t want to be there, but whose father sent him in his place. After running into trouble in the big city capital, Tiryz meets Farin, and offers to help him win back the crown. They just have to fight their way into the final brackets, but they’ll have to deal with strong fighters, including one who seems to have supernatural help with a vengeful streak of its own…

Oh, and to top that, Tiryz sucks at swordfighting.

So yeah, I’m kind of really excited. :3

What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
Sand. Lots of sand.

Fighting. Lots of fighting.

Brotherly friendship. A bitter genie. A bold thief.

Also pictures. :3





Pretty cool, yes? B)


Introduce us to each of your characters!
Farin

Prince Farin is a royal young man. He knows his place, and while he doesn’t stick his nose up at the peasantry, he’s not shy about making sure they know theirs if they cross the line. He’s extremely bitter toward his father for denying him the throne and offering it up to anybody and everybody, but he’s determined to win it back. Even if help is coming from a fairly useless boy who can’t hold a sword right.

Tiryz

A boy who would much rather map the stars or study plant life than make swords, or fight with them. But when his father, a swordsman, becomes sick and dying, sends Tiryz off to take his place in the tournament, Tiryz has no choice but to use a sword. He prefers to avoid conflict, but since he’s here, he may as well help the one person who needs to win the most.

He also hates being called Ryz.

Jade

A girl with a penchant for climbing through windows and stealing anything shiny and expensive. She thought it would be funny to steal from the city’s most superstitious man. Steal something from his collection of trinkets that supposedly has magical properties.

But when the seemingly simple ring’s genie appears at her service, suddenly a throne doesn’t sound so outlandish. Especially when Jade is sick of the current royals.

Genie

Currently without a name. A genie in a ring who has many years of stored up bitterness. Jade is his new mistress, but behind her plans, he’s furthering his…

How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
I usually try to outline just enough so that I know where I’m going. For this project, I tried using K.M. Weiland’s Three-Act structure, and marked out the particular points through the story. I don’t like outlining his huge detail (I like to leave some stuff to mystery and see where it goes), but I do like to have an idea of what’s going to happen.

What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
Ooh… the climax. :3 I’m really looking forward to seeing how that goes. There’s gonna be a lot of feels, guys. o.o

List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
Sand, sand, and more sand.

Or sand, cactus, and stars? :3

What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
Tiryz’s goal is to help Farin win the tournament. Everyone stands in his way. Even, to a certain degree, himself.

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
Tiryz will become braver, and perhaps a little more confident in his abilities, even if they don’t include swordplay.

What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
I’m not sure yet… I’ve not thought about this aspect yet. The theme that bitter revenge won’t make you happy might be something, because Farin and the genie could struggle with the same issue. But other than that, I’m not sure yet what it will be.


So that’s what I’ll be working on this November. :D I’m looking forward to it, and seeing where it will all go. B)

Are you doing NaNo this year? If so, what story will you tackle? If not, what project will you be working on this November? :D

4 comments:

  1. THIS SOUNDS SO SO AMAZING!! I love the premise...mad kings and non-hero POVs are like my favourites so I'm totally flailing over your book! I hope it behaves and comes nicely for you this November. ;D
    Thanks for joining in the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! ^_^ I'm so glad you like. :D I'm excited about doing a non-hero POV, so I'm hoping it all behaves too. :3 It will be fun. ^_^
      You're welcome! :D Thank you for hosting. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Dude! Bromances are the best and these guys look HOT! Love the desert setting as well!

    I am doing NaNo for the first time this year, EEEP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yissss, they're pretty cool. XD Aww, they thank you! (Although Tiryz is blushing and will likely deny he's hot ;)) I'm excited to try a desert setting. :D It's fun exploring settings I don't usually do. :D

      OOH, that's awesome! :D :D I hope you have lots of fun! ^_^ What's your project? :D

      Delete

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)