Saturday, December 12, 2015

Beautiful Books Linkup 3


The third and final part of Cait and Sky's Beautiful Books linkup. :D NaNoWriMo is done, and we can all collapse in a heap of words, more or less 50,000 of them.

For this linkup, we discuss the results of the mad 50K dash this month. B) I hope you all did well, whatever your goals. :3


1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how did the book turn out? Did anything defy your expectations?
Oh, mercy... I'd say a 5, maybe. The whole thing veered off down a different plot path than I originally planned, and there were things that happened that I didn't see coming at all. I also didn't expect my villainess to be as insane as she was. That was almost terrifying. o.o 


2. Comparative title time: what published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)
Uhh.... I don't know. o.O Nancy Drew meets Sherlock meets steampunk...?

3. Do you enjoy working with deadlines and pressure (aka NaNoWriMo)? Or do you prefer to write-as-you’re-inspired?
Mm, I think I could do both. I'd probably get more writing done with deadlines, but having the leisure to write as I please is nice too.

4. How do you go about editing? Give us an insight into your editing process.
To be honest, I haven't done a lot of heavy editing to my stories. I'll proof over them, reading and finding mistakes and things. But for the novel I'm editing now, I'm reading through, fixing mistakes, and sometimes removing stuff/changing stuff/adding stuff. I'm pretty sure Clockwork Apprentice (my NaNo novel) is gonna need a ton more work. It's terrifying, people. o.o

5. What aspect of your story needs the most work?
The characters, and maybe the research for worldbuilding. It's a horrific mess. Liam and Mariel, my main characters, need more tension between them. There's just a lot that needs work. ._. Character relationships developed as I wrote and I saw things I needed to more firmly establish. They developed as they went, so I have an idea of what I need. But still... o.o

6. What aspect of your story did you love the most?
Ooh... the characters. XD I loved seeing them develop and grow, and how they interacted with each other. They're all my darlings, I loved getting to know them as I wrote. :3 


7. Give us a brief run down on your main characters and how you think they turned out. Do you think they’ll need changes in edits?
Oh boy. Liam and Mariel are gonna need changes, for sure. At first I started them off as getting on together well, but as I went on things came about that suggested that maybe they rub each other the wrong way a lot, at least in the beginning. Although I caught on to that scheme right around where those two would be getting along, so everything before will be needing revising.

Mariel is a lively and eager to please girl. She didn't quite have the personality I wanted for her, but she still turned out well. She doesn't let much stop her from doing what she sets her mind to, even when it gets her into trouble. But she's sensitive to others, too. She cares for the people she loves.

Liam. My baby. He's essentially turned himself into a workaholic, but he also thrives on the smiles of the children he works to make clockwork toys for. He can be quiet and you might even forget he's in the room, and he doesn't talk about himself often. But when you put him with children, he lights up. He treats them as if they deserve the world and he only gives them a part of it. He treats them like royalty, and he their humble servant. :3 Liam's just the best okay. X)


8. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
I don't know. :D I hadn't really thought about it, but I might try to find betas once I feel editing as taken its toll on the thing. I don't know if I'll publish it, but it's not out of the question, either.

9. Share a favourite snippet!
*plops big piece* :3 See he just lights up. X3

Mariel was startled when Liam's whole demeanor changed. He had a wide smile that lit up his face and made it look young as he swept off his hat.

Ladies and gentlemen of the court!” He announced, quickly capturing the attention of the four children in the room, two boys and two girls. “I come with an offering of peace and goodwill!”

Who are you?” the oldest boy asked suspiciously. “Who is she?”

This is the fair lady of Braithwaite!” Liam looked at the children in surprise. “Surely you know her? My lady! Forgive them their trespasses!” He gave a flourishing bow. The children's eyes swiveled to Mariel. She looked between them and Liam, still trying to recover from this sudden change of personality in Liam.

I suppose I will let it pass,” Mariel lifted her chin. “They are children, after all.”

You are most kind, my lady,” Liam bowed again. “But indulge me, we must remember that they are not just children. They are our noble patrons.”

What's a pay-tron?” One of the girls asked.

You didn't say who you were,” the boy added.

A patron is your honorable selves, my lady,” Liam replied. “Your business with me, a humble, lowly tradesman, makes you my patrons. And as for the young master's inquiry, I am as I said, a lowly tradesman. My name would not interest you. But I have gifts of wonder that will, I hope, pardon my intrusion.”

Did you sneak in?” the boy's eyes narrowed. “I'll tell Father.”

Oh, George, don't,” the girl said. “Let him stay.”

Liam looked at George, who hesitated, but nodded. Liam smiled and bowed to him. “Thank you, kind sir. Now, Lady Braithwaite, would you be so kind as you hold for me this box?”

Mariel took the square box, while Liam set the rectangular one on the floor. “Now, I have it on high authority the desires of your dreams and wishes. Do you believe me?”

No,” said George.

What is it?” the girl asked. The two littlest ones simply watched with wide, mystified eyes at this strange man. Liam winked at them.

Ladies first,” Liam turned to the eldest girl. “You are Misses Jenny and Viola, yes? This is for you.”

Liam placed on the floor the clockwork kitten Mariel had seen in the workshop. Jenny gasped. Liam then presented the youngest girl, Viola, the clockwork bunny, getting from her an excited squeal. Mariel smiled.

Me! Me!” the youngest boy reached for the box. Liam stayed his hand.

Patience, Master Murray,” Liam said. “I have not forgotten you.” He pulled out the clockwork lizard. Murray shrieked, imitating his sister.

And you, George,” Liam turned to the lad. George looked at the box doubtfully, but his eyes lit up as Liam gave him the little hawk.

Thank you, sir,” George gazed at it.

You are welcome,” Liam smiled. “Now, bring your treasures round, and I will show you how they work.”

Mariel grinned as Liam actually sat on the floor with the children and showed them the little brass keys and how to turn them. The nursery was then flooded with laughter and screams of joy. Liam watched them scamper after their new toys, then stood. Little Murray and Viola ran and hugged him. Liam's smiled softened as he knelt and hugged them, then Jenny. He straightened again and shook George's hand smartly before bidding them all farewell. The children, upon Liam's prompting said goodbye to Mariel who curtsied with a lenient smile.

Children love you,” Mariel said when they were outside again after the butler had given Liam his payment.

They love the toys,” Liam shook his head, his calm demeanor returning. “They won't remember me in a few days, only the toys that can keep up with them. The thing is to not betray them, however long or often they see you. Treat them with respect, as if they are at present the only people that you are concerned with, and they will show you the same, even if for a moment. With that established, the acquaintance is smooth, and can be engaged further if desired.”

You know a lot about children,” Mariel smiled.

They are my life's work,” Liam said. “To not know them would be foolish.”
--Clockwork Apprentice


10. What are your writing goals and plans for 2016?
My main plan is to edit my fantasy novel, then find beta readers. I hope to publish this, so editing and revising and the works are what I have planned. :D

(Images found via Pinterest. Except the linkup icon.)

What about you all? :D How did NaNo go for you? Or if you didn't do NaNo, how did your project go last month? What are your writing plans for 2016?

6 comments:

  1. Yay for scary baddies! Personally, I enjoy the story more if the villain is more terrifying. Don't diminish her evil! ;) The excerpt is great. It seems like you got a cool story on your hands. And oh my goodness, the steampunk sparrow (forgive me if it's not a sparrow...I don't really know my birds XD)! I wants it ^ ^

    dimensionsofmyuniverse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't. :D I rather liked her that way. ^_^

    Aww, thank you. :3 I really enjoyed writing it. :D I consider it a sparrow, yes. :3 I'm not sure what the original artist of the image thinks it is, but to me it's a sparrow. It plays a big part in Liam's life, but I'll see if he can make one for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *takes the option of hiding NaNo in a dark hole* Heeheeheee, yeah... It was bad. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Jenny. XD *patpat* Congrats for sticking to it, though. :3

      Delete
  4. Liam is amazing! Goodness, that scene was too adorable <3

    Also, I love that title. Sounds very steampunkish and intriguing. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! :3 I'm so glad you enjoyed. ^_^

      Thanks. :D This was my first go at steampunk. :3 And more or less my first dip into a longer project with mystery. But it was all super fun. :3

      Delete

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)