Monday, November 9, 2015

Beautiful Books Linkup 2: Clockwork Apprentice Progress


So Cait at Paper Fury has put up another Beautiful Books Linkup. Last time it was to introduce to the people the novel we writers would be taking on in the crazy month of November during NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

This month's linkup is again NaNo related, but this time writers can report on their progress thus far. Cait herself is an inhuman speedster and finished her novel in four days. Four. Days. I'm not sure what condition she's in, so you should go over and make sure to give her chocolate and congratulations on such an incredible feat.

Currently, I'm ahead in Clockwork Angel with my word count sitting at present 21,345 words. I'm rather pleased I'm ahead, especially for my first time in NaNo. I've enjoyed writing this novel, exploring the plot and the characters. Although I hate the idea of editing this thing because it is so, so awful. For real, guys, I have no desire to see editing day soon. Clockwork Apprentice's first draftiness is milking the first draftiness for all it's worth and it terrifies me.

But I am starting to learn what things I could edit or change. I realize my two main characters' relationship could go as a "hard to get along" kind of path, which would definitely make things exciting (of course I realize this about where they would start to get along, but whatever).

Annnyways. This linkup contains questions, like the last one. It doesn't really consist of me rambling. Maybe.

1. Is the book turning out how you thought it would be, or is it defying your expectations?
Yes and no. The plot is still essentially the same, but the mystery aspect has returned. Pretty sure I've done a crappy job at implementing this, but hey, it's a first draft. So now my novel has mystery, and with it came a new character who is a darling boy.

2. What's your first sentence (or paragraph)?

Mariel followed her uncle Noah to the cozy little home on Tulbury Street, Number 15. It was much smaller than her uncle's home, but it had its own charm. Except there were no flowers in the boxes under the windows, and the windows themselves looked in need of a good cleaning.
Clockwork Apprentice, Chapter 1.

3. Are you a plotter or a pantser? Have you ever tried both methods and how did it turn out?
I think I'm a bit of both. I don't dive into a document with absolutely no plan whatsoever, but I also don't outline every detail. I'll outline enough to get me through, and if I need to (like for a climax) I'll maybe outline that a little closer just so I have it all organized in my head. But generally I lean a little more toward pantsing, I think. I like keeping my options open, and I like the surprises my characters or plot might throw at me.

4.  What do you reward yourself with after meeting a goal?
I don't really reward myself. I'll write, and when I'm done for the day, I'm done. I used to reward myself with working on formatting my fantasy novel into a document (because copy/paste killed the paragraph breaks), but I kind of went ahead and just plowed through that and finished formatting. So now, I just write.

5. What do you look for in a name? Do you have themes and where do you find your names?
It depends. Either I'll look for an appropriate name whose meaning fits the character and/or the charrie's role, or I'll just pick a favorite name or a name that strikes my fancy at the moment. In Clockwork Apprentice, I chose Mariel's name because it means "wished-for child," which played a little into her and Liam's relationship. And then for another character, Charlie, I chose the name simply because I liked it and it fit.

6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end -- and why?
I think I like to write the middle for most stories, because that's where a lot of the scenes that I play in my head take place. But for Clockwork Angel, the end, the climax, will be my favorite. Because that's where things get awesome and Liam is feelsy and kind of hypnotized. And it was inspired by a really pretty violin instrumental cover of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Music of the Night." So there's that. It will be epic.

7. Who's your current favourite character in your novel?
Hmm. I think it's probably Charlie. He was part of the package that brought along the mystery to the novel, and he's a darling boy. I like his voice, which might not seem so different from the others (first draft glory, again), but how it sounds in my head is lovely. Liam is still a favorite, as he's my darling and the one who started it all.

8. What kind of things have you researched for this project, and how you do go about researching? (What's the weirdest thing you've researched?!)
I researched a boat ton of Victorian era etiquette and fashion. And because this is a first draft I seem to have completely left it all alone and don't consult the sources. But it's steampunk, so I have some liberties, okay?

I researched mainly in Pinterest for the fashion and some etiquette, but Google supplied the rest of the etiquette, and some fashion. I can't say there's anything weird I've researched, but the one thing that wasn't Victorian era-related was a site that had a kind of glossary of clock parts. Haven't consulted that either, though.

9. Do you write better alone or with others? Do you share your work or prefer to keep it to yourself?
I can write in both environments, but I might write a little better when I'm alone. I like to try writing in the morning, when I can pump out a lot.


I don't mind sharing my work, at least with people I know. When it comes to displaying it on the internet, I become a paranoid creature who is protective of original names. But with family and friends, I don't have any hesitation sharing my writing. I haven't really shared it because no one asks, or I don't want to make them feel obligated to say yes if I ask if they want to (yes, I'm weird).

10. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
I don't really have any particular habits. I suppose a habit would be that if I write during the day, it's usually downstairs among family where I can listen to conversation and such. If I snack, it's probably any candy I've acquired, or any yummy baked goods recently made.

I like listening to music that fits the mood of what I'm currently writing (for example, sad music for death scenes), but I've discovered that I can really focus on writing if I listen to Peter Hollens. I don't know why, but it works and I like his music, so win-win. I write best in the morning, I think. Nice and early before I shower and get ready for the day. Like this morning, I got a lot of words cranked out. I was up early and at my desk writing for an hour or so. It's lovely, and I get writing done early so I can do other things in the day.

* *  * * *

So there you go! That's how things are going for me in my NaNo venture, and a little bit about my writing quirks and such. :D Ya'll should do this linkup, even if you don't do NaNo, and tell me in the comments! Also link to it with Cait (click over to her blog to find all that).

How is NaNo faring for you if you're doing NaNo? Are you dreading editing as much as I am? If you're not doing NaNo, how's your current WIP going? Tell me all! :3

8 comments:

  1. Awwww!!!! You are so nice to me. *flails happily* I am pretty exhausted BUT HAPPY. My book was a lot of fun. OHHH but I'm loving your answers here!!! I'm a day-time writer too! I used to get up mega-early to write but now I go for a run instead. *siiighs* Tragic choosing health over words. TRAGIC. xD

    Pinterest <3 So much love and help in pinterest.

    And yesss. First drafts are totally allowed to suck a bit. XD So long as it's written, right? Then it can be edited/fixed up later.

    Thanks for joining in!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Awesome job in finishing! :D I loved reading your snippets. Your darlings sound hilarious. XD

      Who says you can't run and then write? ;)

      Yus, Pinterest. B) It has been a great help and an excellent source of procrastination. >_>

      Exactly! First drafts are just there to get that jumble of imagination into the open. ;)

      Welcome! :D I've enjoyed doing these. :3

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your project! It sounds very exciting. I love a good steampunk story ^_^

    Music and writing just go together so perfectly, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I'm hoping it turns out well. ^_^

      They dooo. O_O I love finding just the right music. :3 What music do you listen to when you write? :D

      Delete
  3. I like the names you have so far, especially Mariel :) and Noah is one of my favorite boy names.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :3 That's cool. :D I don't remember what made me give him that name... It was a while ago. xD

      Delete
  4. Steampunk yessss! We need more steampunk out there. I wrote a steampunk retelling of Little Red Riding Hood for last year. ^ ^ And yay someone else who likes to write middles! *holds out hand for high five* I'm very intrigued with your story and I wish you the best with it! I just hit 43K last night in mine. ^ ^

    I also did Beautiful Books: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/11/beautiful-booksthe-writing-process.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steampunk Red Riding Hood. O_O That sounds really cool. :D *high fives* Yasss for the middles! B) All the action and feels happen there. :3 And normally where people see how insane writers are, but pfth. XD

      Aww, thank you! :3 Ooh, wow! Congrats on that word count! :D I saw your linkup. The Subsapiens stories look intriguing. B)

      Delete

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)