Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Piece of Dialogue

This is another writing exercise I did for a college course. The section focused on dialogue in writing, hence all of the dialogue.


"So, how does this work, then?" Kathryn asked warily. "You and I just... duke it out and see who comes out alive?"

"If you want to put it that way, yes," Harry replied.

"Come on, Harry!" Kathryn exclaimed. "You and I have been best friends since forever! What happened to you?"

"Lots of things happened to me, Kat. I was shown how dark and cruel and cold this world is." Harry circled Kathryn. "I saw the things people do to others. This plan will put an end to all of that! Why won't you see the brilliance of it?"

"I never said I don't see the brilliance of it. It's brilliant. But Harry it's mental! You're no better than the people you claim to be cruel." Kathryn never let her eyes stray from Harry as he paced. "Stop this Harry. We can fix this-"

"No! We can't fix it Kathryn! It's already a smoldering ruin! You and your... pals haven't made anything better. If anything you've made it worse!" Harry stopped walking and glared at Kathryn. "You will die right along with them if you won't join me."

"I can't let you do this, Harry," Kathryn said softly. "I won't let you murder hundreds of people who didn't have anything to do with this in the first place!"

"Didn't have anything- Kat, they had EVERYTHING to do with it!" Harry's tone rose with his frustration. "They tainted our home! They polluted the air, destroyed forests for no good reason, and made the water around here about as toxic as the mushrooms!"

"We can fix that," Kathryn tried to sooth. "We've made our mistakes, but killing everyone won't fix them."

"How do you know?!" Harry approached her. "It would stop them from doing any more damage. We can start again. Please, Kat, help me do this, and we can be together too."

"You... what?" Kathryn's brows furrowed. "Together?"

"Yeah." Harry smiled and reached for her hand. "You and me, Kat. We can find a place in the mountains, with a lake as clear as glass. We can start a family, like you've wanted. As many kids as you want."

"Really?" Kathryn looked up at Harry.

"Really," Harry affirmed. "Help me do this, Kat. If we do this, what couldn't we do afterward?"

"Be normal people with a clear conscience," Kathryn said.

"We wouldn't have anyone on our tails trying to put us behind bars," Harry pointed out. "What do you say, KitKat? Will you help me?"

"It's not right, Harry," Kathryn whispered. "All those people."

"They nearly killed our planet. If they don't care about that, how will they treat each other?" Harry reached for Kathryn's energy pistol.

"No." Kathryn backed away from Harry. "No, Harry. This isn't you. My Harry wouldn't do this. They're controlling you."

"No they're not," Harry protested. "I'm me. Same old Harry."

"The old Harry wouldn't have betrayed me." Kathryn lifted her pistol. "Get out of here, Harry. I don't want to do this."

"I can't let you live." Harry pulled out his own firearm. "You wouldn't shoot me, Kat. I know you."

"No you don't," Kathryn said, tears in her eyes.

"Yes I do." Harry smiled. "You can't even threaten me without crying. C'mon Kat. We can both get out of this alive. No one's here. One of us shoots into the ground and walk away, and the other side thinks we've killed each other. We could run away together."

"What?" Kathryn blinked in surprise. "Where's this coming from? First you wanted me to join you, now you want me to ditch my friends and just... run off with you?"

"Why not?" Harry said. "This will be chaos no matter who wins. We can get out before it gets really ugly."

"You would shoot me in the back first chance you got," Kathryn said.

"Ow, Kat." Harry looked genuinely offended. "Would I do that to you?"

"You shot Kyle," Kathryn stated.

"He was in the way." Harry waved the matter away. "I appreciate him saving me then-"

"Go away, Harry," Kathryn said. "You're making me sick, listening to you."

"I can't just let you go." Harry lifted his pistol. "Sorry, Kathryn."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :) I'd love to hear from you! Please make sure your comments are clean and appropriate. :)